Secret Superfood Bolognese
June 5, 2017 | Cooking time: Prep: 15 minutes
This is the first recipe I have made with liver and I am so impressed! I was able to hide the taste (although it did smell a bit funny) and I actually LOVED it. The trick here is to definitely let the sauce simmer for as long as you can so the flavours go crazy and you have a super tasty sauce. If you aren’t worried about fructose, then, by all means, swap the red capsicum sauce out for a tomato sauce (without added sugar).
1kg beef mince and liver (get your butcher to put this together for you in a ratio of 95% beef mince and 5% liver… I actually got 80% beef 15% beef fat and 5% liver)
Coconut oil for frying
1 brown onion
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, diced
2 zucchinis, diced
150g mushrooms, thinly chopped
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 cups Red capsicum sauce
Zucchinis for spiralizing
Pesto to serve
Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast to serve
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium frypan and saute the onion, garlic and carrots.
- Add the beef mince/liver and brown.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and let simmer for as long as possible. (I like mine to simmer for about an hour or two so the flavour is really bursting but if you don’t have that long don’t worry)
- When you are ready to eat, zoodle your zucchinis and sautee them in a separate fry pan with a knob of coconut oil for 3 minutes or until just tender. (depending on the thickness of your zoodles)…Alternatively, you can microwave them for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve the bolognese sauce with a BIG bowl of zoodles and cover with pesto to serve! Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
This secret ingredient outperforms most other ‘superfoods’ (I don’t really like that word) and has the highest levels of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, vit A, D, E, C, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, biotin, B12. It is an INCREDIBLE food to eat if you want amazing skin
Follow me on Instagram to see all my latest food creations, and subscribe to my newsletter to get these recipes and more straight to your inbox (I don’t spam!)
Also, be sure to check out my resources section for FREE printouts!