Zucchini Lasagne with Cauliflower ‘Cheese’
May 18, 2017 | Cooking time: 60 mins
This delicious lasagne is packed full of flavour and doesn’t have you missing the traditional one. The zucchini keeps it as a light and healthy alternative, and the cauliflower cream gives it that rich, soft and creamy-ness that real lasagne has – not to mention it’s adding ANOTHER serve of veggies!
4 large zucchini, cut into long flat slices to use as the pasta sheets
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 brown onion
4 cloves of garlic
3 cups mushrooms, diced
2 carrots, diced
300g beef mince
1-2 cups of red capsicum sauce (depending on how thick your sauce is) – recipe below
1/2 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup coconut cream
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup nutritional yeast*
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
Olive oil for serving
Steamed green beans to serve
Red capsicum sauce
4 organic red capsicums
1/2 bulb of garlic
1 bunch of basil, leaves removed
water until reaches desired consistency
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line a baking tray. Cut the seeds and the top of the red capsicums off and place onto the baking tray. Wrap the half garlic bulb in aluminium foil and place on the tray. Cook for 30-40 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil in a large frypan and add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef mince and break up using a flat-ended wooden spoon. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the cauliflower florets in a double boiler until very soft and transfer to a Vitamix or high powered blender. Add the coconut cream, broth, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper and blend until very smooth and creamy. Squeeze in some lemon and blend again. Adjust to taste (you might like to add more nutritional yeast or a dash more salt)
- To make the red capsicum sauce add the red capsicums, the flesh of the garlic and basil to a Vitamix or high powered blender and slowly add water, blending at the same time until it reaches a good sauce consistency.
- Slice the zucchinis into thick ribbons for your pasta sheets. In an oven proof dish, make a layer of zucchini, add half the mince, cover with half the sauce and half of the cauliflower cream. Add another layer of zucchini, mince, sauce and cauliflower cream. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- turn the oven down to 170c and bake for 20-30 minutes, until the zucchini is cooked. You can test this my putting a knife into the lasagne to see if the zucchini is soft.
- When the lasagne is nearly finished, steam some green beans and serve them with olive oil or butter.
*If you aren’t dairy free, then add some full fat (organic if possible) cheese to your layers instead of the cauliflower cheese or AS WELL as the cauliflower cheese (if you want maximum veggies in there)!