Healthy Hot Cross Buns
April 5, 2017 | Cooking time: 45 minutes
There is no need to miss out on the flavour of an epic hot cross bun flavour, or worse actually put your body through the process of trying to break down those sugar filled store bought ones! While these babies might be a little denser than the store bought versions, what they lack in fluffy-ness they make up in taste and nutrients!
2 cups almond meal
1 cup coconut flour
¼ c rice malt syrup
250g coconut oil
¾ cups cacao nibs
2 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
1 tsp orange zest
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 Tbsp tapioca flour
Chia Jam to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a muffin tin with large muffin cases
- In a large bowl mix the almond meal, coconut flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and orange zest in a bowl
- Melt the coconut oil and the rice malt syrup together. Let it cool slightly so it doesn’t cook the eggs
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture and mix well. Add the coconut oil mixture into the batter and mix to combine. Add the cacao nibs and mix until well combined. The mixture should be doughy. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- To make the crosses, place the flours in a small bowl and gradually add 1 teaspoon of water until a thick, white paste forms. Put the paste into a piping bag (or snap-lock bag and cut the corner) and pipe a cross on top of each bun.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
Serve without the muffin cases (so they look more bun like) and with one of my favourite combos!
- Grass fed butter and chia jam
- Coconut oil and chia jam
- Coconut butter and chia jam
- Coyo yoghurt and chia jam
- Kultured wellness yoghurt and chia jam