Fish ‘n’ Chips with Garlic-y Tahini Sauce
March 29, 2017 | Cooking time: +prep: 40 mins or less
While most people reach for the tomato sauce to have with their deep fried fish ‘n’ chips, I prefer to go for the more gourmet version with wild caught barramundi and a LIFE CHANGING tahini sauce. (It’s bowl licking worthy). Not to mention the fact that I NEED my greens with it.
Try this recipe out for a simple weeknight dish and even the boys will be happy (and you can always swap the tahini sauce for tomato sauce for the fussy ones).
4 Wild Caught Barramundi fillets (skin on)
3 tbsp coconut oil
2 bunches broccolini, woody ends removed
2 large handfuls of snow peas, top and tailed
2 large handfuls of sugar snap peas, top and tailed
5-6 large brussel sprouts or any other leftover greens in the fridge you want to add, diced
Raw cabbage slaw, store bought (optional)
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup tahini
1 lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 cup boiling water (adding more if you want it thinner)
salt and pepper to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200c and line 2 baking trays
- Cut the sweet potato into wedges and lay out on one of the trays. Drizzle or spray with 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Season with cinnamon, salt and pepper or Mingle Seasoning “Siena” (I did half cinnamon, half Mingle)
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins or until golden and then flip chips and put back in the oven
- Once the chips have backed for 30 mins, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a wok and add the broccolini, snow peas, sugar snap peas and brussel sprouts or leftover greens
- Lay the fish skin side up on the other prepared baking tray. Rub the skin with the remaining coconut oil and season with salt and pepper. Put in the oven on the top rack and bake for 15 minutes. If the skin isn’t already getting crispy, put your oven on the ‘grill’ function
- While everything is cooking, make the tahini sauce. Add all the ingredients in a mini food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. It should be light in colour.
- To serve, place the fish on a plate, skin side up. Add green slaw on top (option add in of some raw cabbage) and sweet potato chips on the side with a big dollop of tahini sauce!