Broccoli and ‘Cheese’ Soup
May 6, 2017 | Cooking time: 30 minutes
This is a new favourite soup for me! A cheesy soup that is dairy free! I tried re-creating the broccoli and ‘cheese’ soup from Hu Kitchen in NYC (which btw doesn’t even have broccoli in it so that confused me….anyway) and it turned out a dream! Don’t forget that I cook with my intuition so these are just approximate ingredient measurements- feel free to add more/less of ingredients!
3 tbsp coconut oil
1 leek, diced
4 large cloves of garlic, crushed
2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
1 zucchini, cut into chunks
1 carrot, cut into pieces
3 tbsp dried parsley
700ml chicken broth (less or more depending on how thick you want your soup and the size of the broccoli heads)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 lemon, juiced
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp pepper
- Sauté the coconut oil, leek and garlic until fragrant and then add the carrot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and zucchini and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the broth and parsley and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Place the mix into your Vitamix and blend on the soup function until very smooth and creamy. Add the nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend again. Alternatively, blend it using a handheld stick blender.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil or coconut cream!