February 5, 2017 | Cooking time: 6 minutes
One of my favourite sauces to go on zoodles – so filling, full of healthy omega 3 fatty acids and like a healthy version of mac and cheese! What’s not to love?!
4 large zucchini’s, spiralised
1 large Avocado
2 cloves of garlic (or more if you like)
3/4 cup of basil or more if you want!
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt, pepper to taste
optional: top with feta or parmesan cheese
- Make the avocado sauce by putting the avocado, lemon juice, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add more oil if you want it thinner. Alternatively, you can slowly add a little bit of filtered water until reaches desired consistency.
- Adjust to taste (try adding more salt and pepper first, then garlic and go from there)
- Make the zoodles using a spiralizer.
- To cook the noodles, cook them in a fry pan with some coconut oil, for about 2-3 minutes (don’t overcook them or they’ll get soggy). OR you can microwave them for 1-2 minutes (I do this when I just can’t be bothered making another mess haha)
- Half the zoodles and top with sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese or feta and season with salt and pepper
- Healthy monounsaturated fats shown to reverse insulin resistance and regular blood sugar levels
- Twice the amount of potassium as bananas
- more soluble fibre than most foods and help stabilise blood sugar levels, facilitate proper bowel regularity and maintain proper weight control
- more protein and less sugar than any fruit, which helps build muscle and burn fat
- antioxidant phytochemicals prevent oxidative damage that have the power to change DNA and result in cell mutations
- folate which helps prevent birth defects and neural tube defects, and may prevent strokes
- anti-inflammatory compounds like phytonutrients which is key to reducing the risk of inflammatory and degenerative disorders that can affect every part of the body